[TxMt] Re: [OT] BBEdit, virtues thereof

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Sun Mar 20 04:06:44 UTC 2005

On Mar 19, 2005, at 12:25 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> Another aspect for which BBEdit is often praised is its worksheets,
> especially its MPW implementation and its codewarrior integration.
> I've never used either so I can't comment.

MPW-style worksheets are basically Terminal in a text window. You can
almost get the same effect in any TextMate window by typing command-
r. The essential difference is that the environment is maintained
(per-window) across command invocations, and you can perform
interactive commands. It's very productive for command-line work: it
means never having to fire up Terminal, and it also means not having
to care whether or not GNU readline is available for things like irb.
This would be a great thing to have in TextMate.

I haven't used BBEdit's implementation recently enough to give an
opinion on it, however. MPW's implementation was great, although
saddled of course with all the unfortunate MPW historical cruft
(extremely non-standard variants of Unix tools, regex based on upper
8-bit MacRoman characters, etc).

Chris