Bare Bones [was: [TxMt] Public to-do list for TM (was: Textile Bundle?)

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Fri Mar 18 10:59:14 UTC 2005

Mats Persson wrote:

>> Competition??? oh.. the rock stars over at BareBones ;)
>
>Yeah, I heard about them once. They were pretty big around the time of
>The Beatles weren't they ?? Not seen much good come out of them lately

OK. I've declined to respond to a few of these already. So what follows is not intended as a specific response to Mats' levity above...

There is a great deal to praise about TextMate, Allan and the community, but do we need to sour it with continual jibes at Bare Bones ? Despite licensing TextMate and enjoying using it, I'm still a BBEdit fan and user and a Mailsmith fan and user and I can't be bothered with this moronicity.

Bare Bones Software is a dedicated Mac software developer with a very well earned standing in the community. As a long standing user of BBEdit and Mailsmith and a long standing subscriber to all of Bare Bones mailing lists, I can say that many of the policy jibes I've read here about Bare Bones are not true. That they are far less open than Allan and co is true. That they don't listen to users, don't ever announce planned features and haven't added anything significant to their products in an age is bullshit.

TextMate is the best new mac only editor to arrive since BBEdit. TextMate kicks BBEdits ass in some ways. BBEdit kicks TextMate's ass in others. This will remain the case if we are lucky enough to continue to have two excellent editors on the platform.

Can we drop this now and focus on TextMate ? (That's how it works on the BBEdit lists.)

mark.