[TxMt] Public to-do list for TM (was: Textile Bundle?)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Mar 18 03:12:10 UTC 2005

On Mar 17, 2005, at 11:12, Mats Persson wrote:

> [...] I wonder if Allan's studies in Psychology has been instrumental
> to this, or whether it is just something that has grown organically ??

hehe... I might be smart, but I'm definitely not that smart ;)

>> Maintaining a public to do list would be very nice for the rest of us
>> trying to peek over your shoulder, but I understand that
>> practicalities may make it more of a chore than it's worth.
> Not sure how much Allan is concerned about the competition, but I
> guess that's one important practicality too. Why show the competition
> what you're planning to do ??

Competition??? oh.. the rock stars over at BareBones ;)

Not too concerned about that ;) there are a few situations where
secrecy is required (when you're in direct competition with a product
similar to your own, and the developers have plenty of resources) or an
advantage (when you want the press to go into wild speculations about
what you're creating, because you need media attention).

Neither of this is really my situation, though another concern is that
at times you are likely to get ahead of yourself when speaking of
planned features, and if you delay or cut (already “announced”)
features, you're likely to disappoint some -- and the picture users
paint of you is rarely objective, and disappointment is never an
advantage!

But for me currently, I only see being as open as possible as a
competitive advantage, and I guess it's just in my nature ;)

When I said sensitive information with regard to the to-do I was
thinking of personal info, like email addresses (which I do often keep
for suggestions) or when I have pasted text verbatim (I do mostly
consider private mails private).

Though my main concerns are still 1) the time spent maintaining a
public to-do and 2) receiving questions about the items on (or missing
from) the to-do (I just removed the two public to-dos from
macromates.com because these alone generated too many questions).

And then there is the fact that this to-do is really not very
interesting ;) I don't write detailed descriptions of what I plan, only
brief reminders for the things I may otherwise forget. E.g. redoing the
project drawer doesn't appear on the list, even though I have a lot of
cool ideas for that ;)