[TxMt] Public to-do list for TM (was: Textile Bundle?)

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 10:12:26 UTC 2005

On 17 Mar 2005, at 04:00, Chris Messina wrote:
> I work in open source software (CivicSpaceLabs.org and
> SpreadFirefox.com) so I'm sort of used to working in the open.
> So much of TextMate development seem to be helped by the work on
> contributors that you've struck a very interesting balance of closed
> development with open-source attributes.

You make a very valid and interesting point there Chris. Although
perhaps not new as such, Allan's working methods and the community
around TM, is what has made TM a much improved app, my experience
working with the app very pleasant and a faithful user out of me. In
many ways, this is the way that all software developers (here's looking
at you Apple et al) should work. I wonder if Allan's studies in
Psychology has been instrumental to this, or whether it is just
something that has grown organically ??

> Maintaining a public to do list would be very nice for the rest of us
> trying to peek over your shoulder, but I understand that
> practicalities may make it more of a chore than it's worth.

Not sure how much Allan is concerned about the competition, but I guess
that's one important practicality too. Why show the competition what
you're planning to do ??

On 17 Mar 2005, at 02:58, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> As Mats correctly hinted, if the feature is in most other editors,
> there's 99% chance it's on my to-do, or at least something that would
> render the feature redundant.

Yippie, I correctly hinted at something. There's obviously a first time
for everything in life ;-)

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -