Performance [Was Re: [TxMt] New syntax engine]

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Mar 16 09:58:47 UTC 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:30, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> However, since I've checkout the whole tree of bundles from the
> repository, it takes TM noticably longer to start up. I'm  guessing
> this
> is because of all the bundles I have enabled, although I haven't
> tested this.

It is -- on that note, if you do checkout all the bundles from the
repository, delete what's found in TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport,
that will at least cut down some of the initial loading time.

> Are there any plans to do some optimisation there as well?

Indeed there is :) Naturally I want TextMate to startup instantly, even
when the user has a dozen bundles -- the problem with loading the
bundles lazy is that I really need to know which syntax files are
available before I can show a file, and as soon as you edit, I also
need to know what key bindings are used by bundle items.

What I can do is load bundles in a separate thread, and just show
whatever file(s) get loaded without styles until a style becomes
available -- but since such optimizations are rather complex, it's not
something I'm venturing into until the code involved is really set in
stone.