[TxMt] New syntax engine

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Mar 16 01:26:47 UTC 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 1:53, Allan Odgaard wrote:

>> Is there a description of the changes / new approach anywhere ?
> Only loose comments made by me, so to sum it up:
>
> In parsing: [...]

Something I didn't mention but which is also a nice enhancement is that
parsing is now done in a separate thread. Previously parsing was done
lazy using a cache. This meant that e.g. scrolling to the bottom of a
large source (for the first time) would cause a delay (depending on
your machine of course), and the same when pasting a huge block of code
(since that new block would then need to be parsed before it could be
rendered).

Since parsing is now done in a separate thread, it will just display
the text w/o styles if parsing hasn't completed the requested block,
though since it's no longer lazy, the data should be available most of
the time.

Though the bottleneck in TextMate remains the folding patterns, which
are currently not handled by this new system, but I'm looking into how
I can have it done :)