[TxMt] Split Panes: who/what/when/where/why

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Mon Mar 14 07:39:19 UTC 2005

On Mar 13, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Eric Hsu wrote:

> The other piece asks for split views of the same document.  I think
> BBEdit had this, but I used the functionality about once a month. If
> I need to jump between subroutines, there are a number of 'jump to
> function' commands that are competing in the TM svn repository. The
> project I'm working on now is broken up into a bunch of modules that
> are in different files anyway.  I have been learning how
> fantastically indispensable the "Find in Project" command is.

BBEdit's implementation is one horizontal split pane, IIRC. Not good
enough.

Imagine that you have a really large source file.
Imagine that you need to make changes to code at top of the file that
require interrelated changes to stuff at the bottom, and/or vice versa.
Imagine these changes are too complicated to hold all of the details in
your head.

You don't need this often, but when you do, it's essential.

In the past, I've actually used four horizontal split panes working on
the same document at once. That was a particularly intricate case, but
I would certainly use the functionality if I had it now. Unfortunately,
Xcode's pane split UI sucks. MPW did it right (more or less).

Chris