[TxMt] Split Panes: who/what/when/where/why

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Mon Mar 14 07:27:31 UTC 2005

>Why does TextMate lack any sort of single-project/multi-window
>functionality (the most functional and common implementation being
>arbitrary split panes within the editor windows,  ....
>
>Is anyone else -- besides me and the 2 people who asked after this
>feature here and on the wiki in the fall -- interested in panes?  If
>not, how on earth do you work with multiple text files simultaneously?

I'm confused by the request. One piece talks about many files, one
project (the end). For this,
I use the 'project drawer'. Start a new project. Add the folders that
I am working with (the drawer automatically finds the enclosed
files). Now as I click on files in the hierarchy, they appear as
tabs. You can flip between them using Ctrl-Opt-Arrow. It works pretty
well...  My only complaint is that the drawer remembers state oddly.
If you add a folder and want to omit a subfolder (in my case because
there are 1,500 data files in it), TM will add it back when it
refreshes; other times when it refreshes the folders close up. But
Allan is aware of these annoyances...

The other piece asks for split views of the same document.  I think
BBEdit had this, but I used the functionality about once a month. If
I need to jump between subroutines, there are a number of 'jump to
function' commands that are competing in the TM svn repository. The
project I'm working on now is broken up into a bunch of modules that
are in different files anyway.  I have been learning how
fantastically indispensable the "Find in Project" command is.

- Eric
--
Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
San Francisco State University
erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu