[TxMt] interesting bookmark behavior

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Mar 9 17:09:10 UTC 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 12:52, Ralph Pöllath wrote:

> Maybe you could store the actual information as a special character
> attribute (an invisible style, if you like) and just display a
> bookmark symbol in every line that contains such characters.

Generally the text goes through an external command, so I can't keep
character attributes -- I can however use unicode replacement (object)
characters for meta-data, but not all commands would like this.

> As I mentioned before, I think that automatic bookmarks (based on
> language-specific regex) are way superior to custom bookmarks: Their
> behaviour is well-defined, and they can be calculated on the fly (no
> need to store file metadata).

That really depends on the purpose of bookmarks. For me, I have at most
3-4 bookmarks in my source code, and that are the hot spots I work on
-- so I use a bookmark if I want to leave the current function but have
a way to quickly return, or jump back and forth between two places in
my source.

Auto-generated bookmarks based on regex really sounds like a rather
different functionality (this is more like the requested function
popup) -- for this purpose I'm introducing a way to query the source
code using an xpath-inspired system (with source structure provided by
the syntax files), which will make the way for function popups and more
(e.g. also list of included files, variables in current class etc., all
defined as queries -- but this is currently something I experiment with
and not set in stone).