[TxMt] TextMate and Transmit

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sun Mar 6 20:50:21 UTC 2005

On Mar 6, 2005, at 19:34, Fred B. wrote:

> In Transmit, if you check "beep when transfer completes" [...] But I
> agree that they should provide different notification methods, at
> least give us the choice to use different sounds...

OMG! Are they using the normal error beep for this? I'd say whether or
not they should change it is not even up for discussion.

The authors of Transmit should read about Pavlov's dogs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditioning

    The most famous example of conditioning involves the development
    of conditional salivary responses in Pavlov's dogs. If a tone
    was reliably sounded before the dogs were fed, the dogs would
    eventually start salivating when they heard the tone, even if no
    food was present. The dog's responses (salivation) to the tone
    are said to be conditional upon the dogs' experience with the
    pairings of the tone and food. Dogs that have not experienced
    this condition do not salivate when they hear tones. Pavlov's
    dogs are therefore said to have been conditioned. Their
    reactions to the tone have been changed through experience.

The same mechanism exists in humans as well, and if the Transmit guys
are indeed using the error tone, or something very similar sounding,
they are both triggering a false sense of alarm with the user, and
undermining the usefulness of the sound as well.