[TxMt] getting prefs to stick

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sun Mar 6 13:44:03 UTC 2005

On Mar 6, 2005, at 14:21, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I just want to use my computer like I did in OS 9 and 8 and System 7
> and 6, where finding something in one application doesn't unexpectedly
> overwrite what I was finding in another completely unrelated program.

If you feel strongly about it, you could write an input manager that
switched the NSPasteboard implementation with something that didn't
broadcast the changes -- although it'd only work for Cocoa
applications, which it sounds like you're not using many of ;)

> The thing is, OS X is a multitasking operating system. It practically
> begs you to open a bunch of applications at once, and I always do. The
> things I'm doing in one app are not necessarily related to the things
> I'm doing in another app [...]

I think Steve perceives it as although the OS multitasks, humans rarely
do, and so, the job of the OS is to gracefully/indirectly transfer your
work between applications, that's why we have services, drag'n'drop,
cut'n'paste, “live pastes” with NeXT (and now an attempt to resurrect
this for OS X [1]), Keychain Access, the global find clipboard and so
on.

Personally I love the global find clipboard. Often there is output in
Terminal or Console that I need to find in my sources, or there are
stuff in my sources that I need to find in the documentation etc. --
using cmd-E/cmd-G is a very nice accelerator in these situations :)

[1] http://www.linkbackproject.org/