[TxMt] getting prefs to stick

Ryan Schmidt textmate-2005 at ryandesign.com
Sun Mar 6 13:21:56 UTC 2005

On 06.03.2005, at 12:58, Sune Foldager wrote:

> On 6. mar 2005, at 4:28, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Anyone know how to disable the cross-application find pasteboard
>> completely
>
> Hmm, isn't os-wide paste board what makes it useful in the first
> place? At least to me.

I explained in the part you didn't quote why it isn't useful to me:

>> I search for something on Google using Safari, which conveniently
>> puts my search term on Safari's find pasteboard, which conveniently
>> puts it on the OS find pasteboard, which conveniently blasts away
>> whatever I had in the find box in my editor.

I just want to use my computer like I did in OS 9 and 8 and System 7
and 6, where finding something in one application doesn't unexpectedly
overwrite what I was finding in another completely unrelated program.

When I'm working in my text editor, I'm likely working on code, and the
thing in my find box will relate to that code. When I switch to Safari
to do a Google search, I'm most likely not searching for something
relating to that code. Perhaps I'm trying to find a software package or
learn more about a technique. If I were looking for help with code, I'd
use www.php.net, and web site search boxes thankfully do not interact
with the global find pasteboard.

The thing is, OS X is a multitasking operating system. It practically
begs you to open a bunch of applications at once, and I always do. The
things I'm doing in one app are not necessarily related to the things
I'm doing in another app -- I'm working on multiple tasks. So it's
annoying to me that the find pasteboard wants to enforce the idea that
I should work on only one task at a time. Previous versions of Mac OS,
while they were in other respects less multitasking-capable, did not
limit me in this way.