[TxMt] New user, feeling lost

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sat Jun 18 16:15:46 UTC 2005

On Jun 18, 2005, at 17:55, Ernest Obusek wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out what key bindings are supported and I
> looked at the dict file with the Property List editor, but I don't
> understand the symbols it uses.

Is that the TextMate keybindings file, or the systems global
keybindings file?

If it's the former, load it into TextMate, since it's in plain text
and has some comments.

> Delete to End of Line

command-forward delete or control-forward delete

> Delete Entire Line

ctrl-shift-K (this is a macro in the Text Utilities bundle).

> In the property list editor, what does the @ symbol mean?  I assume
> ^ means control.

 From TextMate Help / Key bindings:

     [...] use “$” for ⇧ (shift), “^” for ⌃ (control),
“~” for ⌥ (option), “@” for ⌘ (command), and “#” for
the numeric keypad.

> There's also some weird looking thing that seems like a W or K
> inside a box.

Normal keys just have they character key, but special keys have
special unicode values, that's why it's easier to edit the file in
plain text, since you can just use \Unnnn for these keys.

Here's a list of special keys (from /System/Library/Frameworks/
AppKit.framework/Headers/NSEvent.h):

     NSUpArrowFunctionKey     "\Uf700"
     NSDownArrowFunctionKey   "\Uf701"
     NSLeftArrowFunctionKey   "\Uf702"
     NSRightArrowFunctionKey  "\Uf703"
     NSDeleteFunctionKey      "\Uf728"
     NSHomeFunctionKey        "\Uf729"
     NSEndFunctionKey         "\Uf72b"
     NSPageUpFunctionKey      "\Uf72c"
     NSPageDownFunctionKey    "\Uf72d"

Notice here NSDeleteFunctionKey is actually forward delete. Backward
delete (referred to as backspace on other platforms is "\U007f").