[TxMt] Wow! (random praise and comments)

Jonathan Ragan-Kelley katokop1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:00:13 UTC 2005

> It's cmd-option left/right (shown in the navigation menu). Previously
> Safari used cmd-shift left/right which was rather bad, since that's
> select to begin/end of line (even in Safari forms). But starting with
> Tiger, Safari now use cmd-{/}. I could use these keys for
> consistancy, but probably in addition to the current.

I quietly second this.  I have to admit that it bugged me a bit since
the first time I used TextMate.  I understand the conflict with the
Apple-style text navigation (though I never personally use CMD to
navigate -- I use PC-style home/end [fn-left/right]), but
cmd-opt-left/right is too useful a keystroke to tie up with something
which might just as well be the same.

In particular, I have always found cmd-opt-left/right to be far and
away the most natural shortcut for virtual desktop naviation (with
cmd-ctrl-left/right switching desktops and taking the foreground
window with you).  Having Safari use cmd-shift-arrow and TM use
cmd-opt-arrow effectively prevents using *either* for virtual desktop
switching.

Just a small frustration I hadn't mentioned before, but thought I'd
raise since you mentioned optionally adding support for
cmd-shift-arrow.  It's fine with me if you keep both (as system-wide
keystrokes like vdesktop switching override application shortcuts,
anyway), though, of course.
-jrk