[TxMt] Problem with perl snippet (bundle or Textmate?)

Gregg Thomason threegee at mac.com
Fri Jan 28 16:23:07 UTC 2005

I want a perl snippet that does this:

open($1, "$2") or die "Can't open file: $!\n";
while(<$3>) {
$4
}

I enter this into the snippet editor. What happens is:
1. The "entry point" is always $2. (in other words, type 'openTAB', get the snippet, but the insertion point is at $2)
2. hitting TAB after entering some text moves the insertion to $1, but any attempts to hit tab to move to the while ($3) fail; it just inserts a literal TAB.
3. escaping the $! with something like \$! has no effect; it always inserts '!n'. I even tried \\n and variations thereof with $! to no effect.

I'm not sure if this is a side effect of the Perl syntax rules/bundle (using the stock one, I long since abandoned mine in favor of the other, superior one :) or another weirdness.

As a side note, I want $1 and $3 to be the same thing; is it enough to just call 'em both $1?