Hard wrapping (was: Re: [TxMt] horizontal scroll)

Ollivier Robert roberto+textmate at keltia.freenix.fr
Fri Jan 28 15:10:29 UTC 2005

According to Allan Odgaard:
> with option-ctrl-F). Not sure why the data needs to be hard wrapped
> though. I.e. if it's just an editing preference, or if it has to do

Think of writing mail.  I want my mails hard-wrapped at around column 72 /
75 (mostly because I'm a UNIX dinosaur and tty are entrenched in me :)) and
I positively hate editors that do not have hard-wrap.  I don't use TM for
mail as my main platform for that is mutt inside screen but if it would be
included in TM then I'd use it inside Thunderbird/Mail.app for internal
mail.

> with wanting to ship documents to others as hard wrapped. If it's the
> latter, and there's any automation already involved, I'd think it's not
> a problem to add 'fold -sw78' to the tool-chain.

Yes.

> I do remember one situation though; when sharing prose documents on
> cvs/svn. Merging paragraphs is easier if these are kept as hard
> wrapped. Other than that, I'm clueless to why anyone would want to use
> it, when column width/resolution/font size differ so much today ;)

Yes diff is mostly line-oriented and softwrapping has a tendency to wreck
avock in diffs :)
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 7.7.0: Sun Nov  7 16:06:51 PST 2004