[TxMt] Bookmarks

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Fri Jan 28 14:59:13 UTC 2005

On 28. jan 2005, at 10:36, Ralph Pöllath wrote:

> On 28.01.2005, at 06:31, Charles Miller wrote:
>> On 27/01/2005, at 10:19 PM, Ralph Pöllath wrote:
>> Under certain circumstances this would lead to bookmarks being lost
>> (or even moved), but it would work well enough for 90% of cases.
>
> I guess it boils down to a matter of taste. I don't deny that all of
> this would be helpful for some or even most people, but personally, I
> wouldn't use e.g. a filesystem that let's me get at my data only 90%
> percent of the time. Sometimes, and for some people, it's those 10%
> that count.

Yeah but those people can then not use the system. No reason that all
the other people can't :-p. I like the "merging" idea, as it was
called. Quite similar to the way patch resolves discrepancies.

> Additionally, you and I know why that system wouldn't work in some
> small percentage of cases. But what about those who don't know or care
> about the implementation?

It's a simple matter of adding to the help file that bookmarks can not
be expected to be preserved 100% if the file is modified outside of
TextMate. This is nothing new... computers aren't magic.

> I could be wrong, but I assume that TM is mainly used by power users

..which is exactly why the above won't be a problem, IMO.

--
Sune.
:: the Cottage of Lost Play.