Hard wrapping (was: Re: [TxMt] horizontal scroll)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Jan 28 14:03:52 UTC 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 14:55, Ollivier Robert wrote:

>> More useful and maybe easier to implement would be "hardwrap on
>> save", where everything currently soft-wrapped is hardwrapped when
>> saved into the file [...]
> You can workaround by using a command like fmt(1) or par(1) on the
> document or a selection but it is more cumbersome than just typing and
> the editor DTRT.

Well, there's also ctrl-f to reflow (and you can unwrap a paragraph
with option-ctrl-F). Not sure why the data needs to be hard wrapped
though. I.e. if it's just an editing preference, or if it has to do
with wanting to ship documents to others as hard wrapped. If it's the
latter, and there's any automation already involved, I'd think it's not
a problem to add 'fold -sw78' to the tool-chain.

I do remember one situation though; when sharing prose documents on
cvs/svn. Merging paragraphs is easier if these are kept as hard
wrapped. Other than that, I'm clueless to why anyone would want to use
it, when column width/resolution/font size differ so much today ;)