[TxMt] Default & custom bundle stuff (was: Thanks Bundle Expert!)

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Jan 28 08:31:05 UTC 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 15:09, Paul Nordstrom August wrote:

> I guess I'll have to save this variant somehow so it doesn't get
> overwritten by future SQL bundles... Hopefully I can figure that out
> on my own.

Everything you edit/create in the bundle editor is stored in
~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/

TextMate will correctly merge custom stuff with the default stuff,
always using the custom stuff when there is a tie.

Each bundle and each item in a bundle has a global unique identifier
which lets TextMate recognize stuff even when it gets renamed/edited.
So for example if you install TextMate, rename the HTML bundle, delete
1 item from it and edit another, if you then later get a new version of
TextMate with an updated HTML bundle, this updated HTML bundle will use
your name, it will have the item you deleted hidden, the item you
changed, changed, and the rest will be as distributed with TextMate
(i.e. if there are new items, these will show up etc.).

I didn't really make a point out of this in the release notes, but it's
a much improved system over the previous, where it just looked at
directory names, and let user stuff take precedence.

This new system should hopefully appear very intuitive! I.e. it should
feel like TextMate just stores the differences between the default
stuff and the user changes, and use these differences in all future
versions.