[TxMt] Re: Better Python bundle?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Jan 27 23:05:08 UTC 2005

On Jan 27, 2005, at 23:46, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> Of the many text editors I've tried (including Qued/M, BBEdit,
> CodeWarrior IDE, Pepper, Alpha, Python IDE, IDLE, XCode, JEdit, NEedit
> and SubEthaEdit), only TextMate has ever used a black background by
> default.

Think Different is the slogan of this platform! :)

> [...] But not having "normal" behavior by default is likely to be a
> turnoff for potential buyers.

Tell me about it -- some doesn't even download it because of the black
background in the screenshots. Anyway, 1.1 will have style sheets, if
1.0 had reasonable defaults I wouldn't be able to make a huge deal
about this addition ;)

> [...] but it gets a bit strange if one is starting a triple-quoted
> string.
> It'd be cool if this smarts could be made smart enough to handle that
> case well -- and that's what I was asking.

I actually did not know about triple quoted strings. What are these
good for (in PYthon, that is)?

> Learning to live with it or learning how to disable it are both
> perfectly reasonable alternatives.

You can disable it in prefs / text editing (it's the smart typing
checkbox).

But alternatively, make a snippet with content: """$1""" and make the
trigger e.g. Ps (python string), then when you type Ps + tab it'll
expand to the triple quoting with the caret inside, and you can press
tab again (after typing your stuff) to skip the last 3 quotes.