[TxMt] TM & UBB code some questions

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Jan 25 18:28:31 UTC 2005

On Jan 25, 2005, at 19:13, Torsten Becker wrote:

> why dont let it be like now?  i think its one of the best things that
> you can write commands with whatever language you want atm.  if there
> would only be one language textmate would be much less interesting for
> me.

Well, no functionality will be removed, by the adding of a scripting
language.

> an alternative to make more integration possible could be to implement
> a easy "command-line-protocol" which you can speak with every language
> wich can read and print text from the commandline.  so you can use
> very much languages and do more fancy things.

With the osascript command, an AppleScript hook sort of takes care of
this.

There need to be some way to call TM actions, and I'm sorry to say so,
but I think AS is the correct answer.

AS integrates with other applications which one may use in combination
with TextMate, like Automator, Script Editor (recording scripts) etc.
and it should have support for the platform specific “structures” like
unicode strings, file objects, images etc.

Basically though, TM is not adding support for apple script, but apple
events, and in theory, one could provide another scripting language
with the inter-application communication capabilities which currently
makes AS a prime candidate.

So providing TM with AS support does not take away the ability to write
functionality in Ruby, but if that Ruby program wants to e.g. place the
caret within TM, it'll need either to go through the osascript command,
or someone should write an extension to Ruby which allows it to send
apple events.