[TxMt] TM & UBB code some questions

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Tue Jan 25 18:22:38 UTC 2005

On 25. jan 2005, at 19:13, Torsten Becker wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:56:26 +0000, Andre wrote:
>> Python + PyObjC ?
>
> why dont let it be like now?  i think its one of the best things that
> you can write commands with whatever language you want atm.  if there
> would only be one language textmate would be much less interesting for
> me.

Yes but the point is not to remove what is now. The point is that an
intergrated language can do stuff which is impossible or at least very
hard to do with external scripts, namely exposing editor functionality
and allowing the scripts in a more real-time nature to control the
editor. This is good for communicating with read-eval-print style
interpreters and other things like that. That it will also enable you
to turn the editor into a game and what not, is just a bonus.. or at
least irrelevant at worse :p.

> an alternative to make more integration possible could be to implement
> a easy "command-line-protocol" which you can speak with every language
> wich can read and print text from the commandline.  so you can use
> very much languages and do more fancy things.  its just and idea but i
> wouldnt like it if textmate is just scriptable with one language.

Yes, an interface like that could also be an idea.. again though,
having the script run interatively in the background while talking to
the editor and sending output to a window in it, might not be easy. An
interpreter I use for a project is intergrated with emacs in that way,
where the bottom part of the window is a buffer it uses for input and
output and control.

--
Sune.
:: the Cottage of Lost Play.