[TxMt] repeat command? Is there/can there be one?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Jan 21 14:31:49 UTC 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 20:57, William D. Neumann wrote:

> One of the more useful features of vim (for me at least) is the
> ability to pass a number as a parameter to a command [...]

I do like the concept of the vim optional count argument, but I'm not
sure it's very handy in a mode-less editor like TextMate and/or where
you perform sort of gestures to invoke actions rather than have a
single letter for each command (some with modifiers/arguments etc).

How do you envision this added to TextMate? Do you want e.g. a dialog
to be triggered on a key where one could enter the count argument, and
do you then want only the next action (e.g. option-forward delete) to
be the single action that gets repeated? For how many “commands” do you
actually think this is useful? And how many repeats would you think it
takes before the time saved makes up for the time lost interacting with
the extra dialog (and how many repeats do you on average do)?

> Now, as far as I can tell, TextMate doesn't have anything like this
> built in (a "repeat the next event n times" command), or am I just
> missing it somewhere?  If it's not in there, could you consider this
> as a feature request for such a thing?

Are you mainly interested in a way to move the caret “programmatically”
(i.e. giving number of units to move etc.)? or do you see yourself
repeating other commands?

> One more thing, might it be possible to alter the behavior of Go to
> Line... to also accept a negative number, -n, and go to line n from
> the bottom?

Added to the to-do.