[TxMt] File navigation feature requests

Tobias Luetke tobias.luetke at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 06:39:17 UTC 2005

I love textmate to death and use it exclusively for all my development
since its release.

The only area where I wish for some improvement is the file management.
Most of my work is in projects which contain hundreds of files and
folders so this limits the tab bars usefulness quite a bit. It seems
to be easier for me to start several textmate instances one pointing
to different logical parts of the application.

The first and bigger proposal is to bring intelligent file opening to
textmate. This works much like quicksilver. A hotkey opens a edit
window and an attached dropdown window specializes itself more and
more as you type.
A simple search would be "user" which would offer you all files with
the word user in them.
A more complex example would be typing "usrg" with would find
USeR_Gateway.rb, USeRGlobals  so on. I recommending installing
quicksilver for a demonstration of the paradigm. Its great emerging
technology and would be a great competitive advantage to have natively
in TM. The same code could later be used to jumping to methods within
a file.

Another proposal would be introduction of intelligent tab fading.
During inactivity the least recently used tabs start to fade out and
close themselves after a while. This happens slower when there is lots
of space in the tab bar and faster the more items there are. This
would be great to cut the tab clutter and get rid of files
automatically with which you are done. Currently i'm finding myself
using close all windows all the time.

--
Tobi
http://www.hieraki.org   - Open source book authoring