[TxMt] repeat command? Is there/can there be one?

William D. Neumann wneumann at cs.unm.edu
Thu Jan 20 19:57:55 UTC 2005

Apologies if this has been discussed before, I'm away from my mail archive
and I couldn't search.

One of the more useful features of vim (for me at least) is the ability to
pass a number as a parameter to a command, most of which used that as the
number of times to repeat the command (though there are more specialized
commands, like n%, which positions the cursor n% of the way down from the
top of the file).  This is especally useful for operations like "delete
the next 10 tokens" (10dw), or jump down 25 lines (25j -or-
25<down-arrow>), and I really made use of it when prototyping OCaml code
with its toplevel loop, where errors in long functions are pointed out by
the number of characters from the start of the input string, not its line
and column numbers...  So if I am told there's a problem with the code
between characters  2674 and 2679, I just have to position the cursor at
the top of the text I entered and enter 2674<right-arrow> and it will take
me to the start of the offending code.

Now, as far as I can tell, TextMate doesn't have anything like this built
in (a "repeat the next event n times" command), or am I just missing it
somewhere?  If it's not in there, could you consider this as a feature
request for such a thing?

One more thing, might it be possible to alter the behavior of Go to
Line... to also accept a negative number, -n, and go to line n from
the bottom?

Would anyone else find these things useful, or am I the only odd one in
the bunch?

William D. Neumann

---

"There's just so many extra children, we could just feed the
children to these tigers.  We don't need them, we're not doing
anything with them.

Tigers are noble and sleek; children are loud and messy."

         -- Neko Case

  Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)