[TxMt] A few things that annoy me

Ivar Åsell ivar at enskede.net
Wed Jan 19 22:30:16 UTC 2005

Thanks for the article on writing micro-content subjects, hopefully
I'll write better headlines in the future.

On 2005-01-19, at 22.29, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2005, at 18:35, Ivar Åsell wrote:
>
>> 1.
>> I want "File-->Save" to be disabled when a file just has been opened
>> or saved. [...]
>
> There are situations where at least I want to save a non-modified
> file, for example to give it a new date stamp to trigger recompile of
> that file.

Isn't it against apple's HIG or something? It feels so incredibly wrong
to me :P
Isn't it easier to just make a command for those who want to recompile
a file by modifying access date?
It would look something like this:
touch $TM_FILENAME
In all programs I've ever used the save field is grayed out after you
have saved, indicating that the save was successful and you can't save
again until you have modified the file.

>> 2.
>> I don't want to save a file just to try out a different encoding.
>> Many times per day I open files where my special swedish letters åäö
>> is messed up because applications like SSE doesn't save the file
>> properly for TM to understand which encoding it uses so it gets wrong
>> all the time.
>> I'd really really like to see "reinterpret this file with encoding: "
>
> If I understand you correctly, that's what the “Re-open with Encoding”
> sub menu does.
No.
>> I don't want to save a file just to try out a different encoding.
Re-Open doesn't let me play around with a file without saving it
between different test of encodings
There are two ways to change the encoding of a file...
1. Convert the current encoding into another
2. Reinterpret current encoding into another
Currently TM supports the latter, but by saving the file and re-opening
it. Excuse me if I sound irritated and such but I am kind of lousy at
expressing myself and explaining things. Sorry :(

Have you tried out SSE encoding menus? They are really as simple as it
comes and with all features associated with encodings that I can think
of.

>> 3.
>> A Document saved by SSE as ISO-Latin1 and open by TM is recognized as
>> that encoding. But saving the file with TM now magically changes the
>> file to UTF-8.
>
> This appears to be a bug. If you go to Preferences / Advanced and set
> the encoding to ISO-8859-1 there (under Saving) it will use that
> instead when possible -- I'll look into it probably tomorrow.
Ok
at least something productive from me then :)

Kindest Regards
Ivar