[TxMt] syntax tool

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Sun Jan 16 07:42:28 UTC 2005

>The whole syntax highlighting thing is going to be overhauled, so in my
>opinion, it will be a bit a waste of time... The SH files will all have
>to be re-written or updated soon, so I don't see the need to do it
>twice or more, but if you've got lots of time on your hands, go for it
>;)

Ah, you must not have any major projects to procrastinate from...  :)

>My advice is "sit tight, and wait for the good things to come", but of
>course, I am just one man :)

Yes, the bundles will need re-writing, but it feels like a stop-gap
measure is possible with some work and a small amount of coordination.

It also seems like Allan has a lot of stuff on his to-do list!  1.2
could be a long ways off...

So, to put my money where my mouth is, I tried out Chris Thomas's
hierarchical scheme with the Perl.tmbundle just to see how hard it
would be. It actually didn't take very long; the main issue was
deciding where in the hierarchy things should go, like variables and
functions.   Things that were unlikely to have an analog in another
language (like POD) I put in a hierarchy beneath *.perl.

I also renamed the Latex innards. It was a little harder, as it's not
really a programming language, but I took a shot at it.

- Eric

ps. These are the classes I used. I know I'll just have to change
them again, but it _feels_ more organized.  :)

comments.line.perl
comments.perl.POD
keywords.control.perl
keywords.functions.perl
keywords.functions.perl.arrows
keywords.functions.perl.comparison
keywords.functions.perl.filetest
keywords.variables.perl
keywords.variables.perl.#
keywords.variables.perl.special
keywords.variables.perl.special#
strings.backticked.perl
strings.double-quoted.perl
strings.double-quoted.perl.q
strings.double-quoted.perl.qlinestart
strings.program-block.perl
strings.regexp.perl
strings.single-quoted.perl

comments.line.latex
keywords.functions.latex
keywords.functions.latex.citations
keywords.functions.latex.sections
keywords.latex.braces
strings.latex.equation-$
strings.latex.equation-$$
strings.latex.equation-braces

--
Eric Hsu, Assistant Professor of Mathematics
San Francisco State University
erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
http://math.sfsu.edu/hsu