[TxMt] feature request: autosave

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Fri Jan 14 10:54:29 UTC 2005

On 14-01-2005 11:36, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> So should I do it *nix style and append ~ to the backup-files, or a
> prefix like .backup?

User configurable is best option here I think. Everyone has a different
taste about it.

Perhaps also an option to keep a backup, but to remove it once the window
is closed, application is quit, or.... ?

> When saving the new file there are two options, rename the old and write
> the new, or copy the old (into the backup) and overwrite the new. While
> the first seems to be the obvious solution, it will give the “new” file
> a new inode, which will break hardlinks. Aliases should still work
> because they use the path before the inode, so maybe it's okay (just
> thinking out load here)...

It seems to me that the action you are doing is *editing* a file, not
*copying* and working on the new copy. So I'd say, copy the file and work
on the original one.

On the other hand, just did some experimentation with vim and it seems to
change inode every time the file is saved...

Jeroen.

--
                "We apologize for the inconvenience"
             (See "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy")