[TxMt] feature request: autosave

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Jan 14 10:36:02 UTC 2005

On Jan 14, 2005, at 9:59, Paul Nordstrom August wrote:

> Anyway that shows how fast TM has progressed. Just about the only
> thing I miss (because I screwed up a bunch o' code today ;) is the
> autosave feature where each file is backed up before each change. Can
> we please have that in TM for us klutzes?

With a flattering introduction like yours, I can't possibly turn that
request down ;)

So should I do it *nix style and append ~ to the backup-files, or a
prefix like .backup?

When saving the new file there are two options, rename the old and
write the new, or copy the old (into the backup) and overwrite the new.
While the first seems to be the obvious solution, it will give the
“new” file a new inode, which will break hardlinks. Aliases should
still work because they use the path before the inode, so maybe it's
okay (just thinking out load here)...