[TxMt] Turn off auto-indent?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Jan 7 05:59:43 UTC 2005

On Jan 7, 2005, at 6:29, Brian Smith wrote:

> [...] I'm conditioned to hit return, then hit tab for the next
> paragraph--so having TextMate indent the next paragraph automatically
> just means I end up with two tabs.

Interesting! Before the release I asked in #macdev if anyone could
provide me with a reason to allow disabling of auto indent -- everyone
was opposed to removing that option (coders generally want options even
for stuff they would never use ;) ), but none could give me an example
in which it was useful (to disable it), so I removed it.

Three months have passed, and this is the first I hear about the option
missing :)

> Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off auto-indenting of new
> lines

You can disable auto indent. But you'll need to quit TextMate and open
up Terminal.app and paste this (one line):

defaults write com.macromates.textmate OakTextViewAutoIndentEnabled
-bool NO

Then it will be disabled (the next time you start TM). To enable it
again you'll need to do the same, but this time with YES.

> [...] thanks to the developer for creating this, keep up the good work,

You're welcome, and I'll do my best! :)