[TxMt] how do you close excess tabbed files?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Jan 4 16:37:48 UTC 2005

On Jan 4, 2005, at 17:11, Wayne Larsen wrote:

>> If I think further I believe the distinction between opened files and
>> files in the project is artificial. It is a traditional distinction,
>> but tradition sometimes can be improved as iTunes did.
> I agree with this.  I am amazed at (and impressed by!)  those of you
> who only work with several files at one time

Clearly this must be task-dependent. The distinction is not really open
files for me but more like 'active' files.

For example, if I need to do the filtered file selector, then I create
FileSelector.mm and FileSelector.h. It's called upon by the project
controller (so ProjectController.mm needs one or more changes) and I'll
use ToDo.txt as scratch-pad for ideas (and update ReleaseNotes_in.txt
when I'm done).

So for the next hour or so, I'll have these 5 files “open” and forget
about the rest of the project (which contains hundreds of files in a
hierarchical structure).

So the tabs is a filtered view of the entire project for me.

> [...] The spotlight filtered textfield is a very strong idea.

Yes, as implied above, I think I'll do this in a moment and unless
problems arise, it's likely to be in b2.

The list of open files in the project drawer is partly planned for when
re-doing the project drawer, since when introducing ftp there'll be
distinct groups in the drawer (FTP Server, Folder Reference, Custom
Grouping, etc.) and here smart folders should be a new item (where the
criterion could be 'file is open/unsaved').

But the filtered file selector I'll be adding is likely to make this
smart folder less of a desire.

> Grouping related files into a single tab is an interesting idea,
> however, I'm not convinced that the effort to create and maintain
> these groups, and the ui required to differentiate between members of
> a tab group and shortcuts between them would make the idea really
> effective.

I'm not sure either about the grouping other than 'same basename',
which currently is very useful for languages that have source/header
pairs. Although it's more just being able to switch between the two
with a hotkey, but in the future I think it would be nice to have them
in the same tab.

> At the risk of repeatedly banging the same drum, I also believe that
> working history is also a useful way to switch between files.

The tabs actually comes from working history. Initially each time a
file was clicked, it would be added to the end of the history (like a
browser), and one could use cmd-option left/right. The tabs just made
the history visible, able to re-arrange items in the history, and
removed the 'pop to front' when clicking already open files.