[TxMt] how do you close excess tabbed files?

Ryan Schmidt textmate-2004 at ryandesign.com
Sat Jan 1 21:07:06 UTC 2005

On 01.01.2005, at 21:15, Drew McLellan wrote:

> Justin Henry wrote:
>
>> I think it would be much more helpful if one could expand the tab bar
>> and have the tabs "wrap":
>> http://jdhenry.com/tm-wrap-tabs.png
>> This way the files in the tab overflow would be accessible via the
>> tab bar.  Adjusting the height of the tab bar (i.e. by dragging the
>> bottom of it) would affect the number of tabs visible - those not
>> able to fit would still go into the overflow.
>
> Looks good Justin. What would happen when a tab from the top row was
> selected? Would the selected tab's row jump to the bottom?
>
> (I'm thinking about the consistency of the tab metaphor, and the
> highlighted tab being 'attached' to the document)

That would be how Windows does it, and I personally find it
infuriating. It's bad user interface design. Interface elements should
not jump about.

Multirow tabs are also bad interface design, which is why Apple's
operating systems don't support it or do it. If they weren't tabs but
instead pushbuttons then it might be ok. (I'm thinking of OS X's square
toggle buttons here.)