[TxMt] New TM Doc in Finder Contextal Menu. Any ideas ??

Eric Hsu erichsu at math.sfsu.edu
Mon Feb 21 16:22:32 UTC 2005

At 9:23 AM +0100 2/21/05, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>You need to set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 in TextMate's custom shell
>variables (or /etc/profile). I have made this default for beta 6.
>
>Btw: the readme you comitted seemed to be in ISO-8859-1 (making
>stuff like svn blame etc. fail).

Weird. I just did the usual commit writing using TM. However: I did
cut and paste FredB's name from Eudora. I wouldn't think that would
mess things up, but maybe that bypassed TM's usual reencoding into
UTF8? These encodings are definitely not my strong point.

Ah, the answer is...

>Oh, reading this again makes me think you've set TM to save in Latin
>1, and that was the problem (that svn is actually setup correctly to
>use UTF-8 and thus choked on the latin 1 commit message)...
>If you go to TextMate Preferences / Advanced you can disable "Only
>apply to new files" under File Encoding (which should be in the
>recommended setting ;) ), then TextMate will also save files which
>weren't loaded as UTF-8 (or 7 bit ASCII) as UTF-8.

This was the problem. I don't go out of my way to save in Latin 1,
but I think either Fred's original email or Eudora's representation
is such, and that carried over into TM.  I now changed it to your
suggested setting.

- Eric