[TxMt] Atomic Saving / Saving Question

Sune Foldager cryo at cyanite.org
Tue Feb 8 17:01:36 UTC 2005

On 7. feb 2005, at 17:30, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2005, at 16:13, Sune Foldager wrote:
>
>>> Yup, the "atomic save" checkbox could go away, or at least default
>>> to "on."
>> No it shouldn't go away; some people don't need the atomicity and
>> don't want their hard-links broken.
>
> Also, it causes the icon to be re-arranged in Finder when the file is
> saved using the 'atomically' version provided by Cocoa, and it fails
> if the user has no write access to the directory (but only the file).

Exactly a good reason not to ditch the setting; Obviously, Cocoa and
Finder have some issues with eachother at times, and this is another
one. Especially tricky is the case (which probably rarely happens
except on remote drives) where you have +w on the file but not on its
directory. I believe TM will fall back to non-atomic writes in this
case?

--
Sune.
:: the Cottage of Lost Play.