[TxMt] Command Chooser?

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Mon Feb 7 21:11:18 UTC 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2005, at 20:07, Brad Miller wrote:
>
>> Here's a suggestion that came to me this morning. How about applying
>> the wonderful logic in the file chooser to commands and macros?  I
>> was thinking of it being very much like Quicksilver for TextMate
>> commands.
>
> Ah yes -- but how is this best done? intermixed with files? only
> Command/Snippet/Macro intermixed with files and these give a 'submenu'
> (i.e. arrow right change the content)? And should each submenu show
> all items (maybe with the bundle as prefix)?

When I was thinking about this, I was thinking of it as a completely
separate from files.  So command-T to use the file chooser, and
command-M to use the command chooser (for example).  The idea is one
easily accessible keystroke that lets me search commands.  I'm not even
sure you would want to include snippets would you?

I think the same interface used for files could display the closest
matching,/only matching command (along with the bundle it comes from
and the pre-programmed keystroke)  I would also have it only show
commands from bundles that are enabled.

I'm imagining that you would type enough keystrokes that a short flat
display would show you all the matches, so you would not need any
hierarchical submenus.  QS, for example, guesses right  95% of the
time, and 99% of the time the thing I want is in the top four or five
items on the list of possibilities.

Brad