[TxMt] rave

Tobias Buckell tobias at tobiasbuckell.com
Wed Feb 2 03:51:09 UTC 2005

I'm truly and deeply impressed with this program. I'm working on my
second novel, due to be turned in this September and am about 15,000
words into it. Previously I used TextEdit to create each chapter, used
omnioutliner to manage the chapter structure and create the outline and
do rearranging, and then merged all the files into Word to finish it
up, and then had to edit it.

I started the current novel using that system, then switched to a
program called 'copywrite' which is cool, gave me some of the
organization features combined with a basic text editor, but it's a bit
slow when I click around quickly, and I hate having the program get in
the way of my creative process/writing, which is why I started testing
programs tonight to see if I could find something better. That and now
that I've seen this program's project handling I'm deeply in love.

But there is just one thing I was hoping I could include on a feature
request to spur me on. Full screen editing! The reason I purchased a
copy of copywrite is that they said full screen editing would be
coming, which is where I press a button and the program takes over the
screen and I have nothing but text and a screen. This is the greatest
procrastination breaker, and the only program besides copywrite that
looks to have this feature is MacJournal. Right now I'm seriously
considering drafting in MacJournal, then copy and pasting into
Textmate, but man, I'd pay extra for the full screen feature, it's
worth it.

Secondly, I've only played with this program for a few minutes, but I
may be converting my Getting Things Done 'Next Actions' list to it and
using documents to go to sync the plain folder text files for project
management.

Best,

Tobias Buckell

By day I'm a mild-mannered tech worker, by night, a Science Fiction and
Fantasy writer. You can find out more about my fiction at my website at
http://www.tobiasbuckell.com where you can read my weblog, join my
newsletter, find excerpts or free fiction, and find out where you can
buy my fiction...

Coming Soon:
-novel "Crystal Rain" from Tor Books (2006)
-novel "Ragamuffin" from Tor Books (TBA)

You can find my short stories in these anthologies out now or coming
soon:
-Anakoinosis - I Alien (April 2005)
-Necahual - So Long Been Dreaming: Postcolonial SF&F (Oct. 2004)
-Aerophilia - All Star Zeppelin Stories (Sep. 2004)