[TxMt] ODB, FTP and external editors

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Feb 1 21:31:19 UTC 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 22:11, Brad Miller wrote:

> over on NetNewsWire, Brent does both private and public beta releases.
>  The public one's go to version tracker etc. but the private ones are
> only available to people on the mailing list, including a link.  Not
> sure how the autoupdate would adapt. I suppose you could have
> preferences like Quicksilver...

What I probably could do was have a select few which gets the beta
before others, and they have maybe 8 hours to report problems. But most
likely that wouldn't really work, and so far the betas seems to mostly
work for the majority, and there's always the ability to downgrade (all
previous versions remain online).

If I add another stage, like nightly builds or private betas, I should
probably instead bump the current betas to minors. Maybe then ADC news
would also carry new releases as news...

The main reason I do betas as betas is because the features which debut
in these are unlikely to be “complete”.

> I hope you can release a patch for this one since it severely limits
> my ability to get things done.

Yes, when I get back to coding it's probably the first I'll look at.
But as Eric said, you can always downgrade. All previous versions
remain online.