[TxMt] Latest TM version activation delays

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Dec 20 20:58:23 UTC 2005

On 20/12/2005, at 21:13, Gerd Knops wrote:

> Shark indicated almost all of the time was burned up in lstat and
> in the underlying kernel routines. 'fs_usage -f filesys' confirmed
> that on activation the TextMate process performs 3432(!!!) lstat
> calls. For each file in my (static) project it does a lstat for
> every single path component, eg for the file /a/b/c/d it performs
> lstat calls for /a, /a/b, /a/b/c and /a/b/c/d. And the root of my
> project starts 6 levels deep in the file system...

I had forgotten that even for a static project, I still call
NSFileManager's fileExistsAtPath: on re-activation, to detect if any
files has gone AWOL since last use (I'll be sure to also do that lazy/
async. in 1.2).

I can easily swap the code with something more low-level as a quick
fix, but I'm too pressed for time to experiment with this myself
(benchmarking the alternatives etc.).