[TxMt] TextMate Manual

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Dec 16 12:08:08 UTC 2005

Just posted the following to my blog (you can post feedback here or
on the blog post, if you have any):

I am planning to release 1.1 final next week. While I do get many
repeated requests, one of the issues that has been hard to overlook
lately is the lack of thorough coherent updated documentation.

<!--more-->

This has now changed after spending a few weeks writing more or less
full-time (so that's why there has been no nightly builds, although I
will likely put out one later today with a dozen minor items in the
change log).

Here is the first public draft of the [TextMate manual](http://
macromates.com/textmate/manual/).

Don't hesitate to post feedback as comments to this entry.

Currently the documentation is low on use-cases. I hope to
iteratively improve this over time, as I think that when people ask
for documentation they are in fact much more interested in how to
combine the features of TextMate to solve the task at hand, than the
core facts about how to move the caret and such.

This of course is quite a challenge, as the tasks and possibilities
are infinite. I myself regularly find new ways to use TextMate to
improve my workflow in ways I would not have thought of just a few
weeks earlier. Writing the documentation was no exception. One of the
cooler things I discovered was that I could add the command below as
a preferences item to the `entity.name.reference.markdown` scope to
have escape suggest completion candidates from my aggregated
reference list, when inside a Markdown reference (given as `[link
text][REFERENCE]`).

     {  completionCommand = 'sed -n \
           "s/^\[\($TM_CURRENT_WORD[^]]*\).*/\1/p" \
           "$TM_DIRECTORY/markdown.references"';
        disableDefaultCompletion = 1;
     }

Should you somehow have missed my countless references to [Markdown]
(http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/) then for the records
let me just state that the documentation was written in Markdown and
I absolutely love it!