[TxMt] Re: Another suggestion: open with TextMate

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Mon Dec 12 06:48:09 UTC 2005

On 12/12/2005, at 0:55, Freek Dijkstra wrote:

> It's specifically about files without an extension. Though I
> attempt to give all files I create a good extension, some files
> just don't have one by default, like the "README" and
> "INSTALLATION" files you sometimes see in a freshly downloaded
> folder with source files. [...]

When a file is w/o extension TextMate (heuristically) scans to see if
it's text, and if so, opens the file. So README and INSTALLATION
should give you no problems.

> Note that a missing file extension is not the only reason why
> TextMate does not want to open the file. For example, I downloaded
> Owen's file: [...]

Which is indeed missing a file extension and fails the “is this text”-
test because at line 667 it contains a 0x08 character (bs) -- found
using a regexp search for: [\x{00}-\x{1F}&&[^\s]].

I'll try to make it more liberal wrt allowing control characters in
text.

> [...] "file" give the same result for both files:
> "Bourne shell script text executable".

That's not based on the file extension.