[TxMt] multi-row tabs

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 6 22:08:41 UTC 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 2:38 PM, Jamal Johnson wrote:

> i don't use the drawer.
> that's why i'm suggesting a simple CHECKBOX option. if you don't
> want it, don't check it. and if it drives you nuts NOT to have it,
> then click it....

My understanding is that the "multiple rows of tabs" design is a
design that is pretty strongly discouraged by the Apple UI
guidelines, and certainly not implemented by the system, and not easy
to implement by hand either. So before we continue this discussion,
please offer us some examples of other applications that do it this way.

What might be more productive is if we each describe how we use the
project window, what *particular* operations we want to perform, and
why we think a particular pattern would be best. I personally always
use the "GoTo File" browser, and never even look at the tabs, unless
I work with two particular files, in which case I'd place them next
to each other and use option-command arrow keys. So I find no need to
have a long list of all the files I have opened, taking up valuable
space.

Yes, we *could* have a checkbox to make it an option, provided Allan
implements what is a non-trivial construction, but we could do the
same with 1500 other options, resulting in a completely chaotic and
useless preferences menu. So if you want such an option, you need to
make a *very* good usability argument.

Haris