[TxMt] Text Encoding Support

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Mon Dec 5 04:18:55 UTC 2005

On Dec 3, 2005, at 5:22 AM, Kelvin Tse wrote:

> Will there be more text encoding support? Like for Japanese(Shift-
> JIS), Chinese(GB-2312) or Korean? I think this issue has been
> bought up before, but it didn't get my attention until lately.

[The most recent word I can find about this from Allan in the
archives is from July:
> I'm going to add better/actual international support to TM
> eventually. Though currently it looks a little like it'll be a 1.4-
> thing (but 1.2 and 1.3 should take shorter time than the current 1.1).
...]

> I have been working on websites in different language: Chinese,
> Japanese and Korean, and it was a horrible experience. I had to add
> some pages to the existing websites, so i can't really changed all
> the text encoding to unicode. Also, I have been told that there are
> some missing characters in unicode for Japanese, so even the
> government won't use that.

The potential number of these characters is vast. Shift-JIS, for
example, doesn't include all of them either, and does have a number
of variants and ambiguities that Unicode does not have. There are
political reasons one might not want to use Unicode, but not having
"all" Japanese kanji probably isn't a valid one (for recent versions
of Unicode, at least).

Chris