[TxMt] Dvorak/Querty Keyboard Layout

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Wed Aug 31 00:33:56 UTC 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 7:19 PM, Gerd Knops wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, at 2:24 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>

>> I haven't seen any way to do things like, ask for characters
>> without modifiers except the command key, which would seem to be
>> the proper way to handle this.
>>
>> I don't suppose anyone on this list knows how about this?

I can't say that I fully understand the mechanism by which Dvorak-
Qwerty is supposed to work, but TM isn't alone in having problems
with it:

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/message/cocoa/2004/5/3/106156
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222950

> It wouldn't be as easy as the '- (NSString *)
> charactersIgnoringModifiers' method in NSEvent?

If I understand correctly, Allan's already using it. What he needs is
-[NSEvent charactersIgnoringModifiers:(int)modifiersToIgnoreMask].
Also, an obvious solution such as:

if [event modifierFlags] & NSCommandKeyMask
     [event characters]
else
     [event charactersIgnoringModifiers]

... may not work for TM's purposes because of the other translations
performed inside charactersIgnoringModifiers.

Chris