[TxMt] Are there any plans to make TextMate free and open source?

Mats Persson mats at imediatec.co.uk
Mon Aug 29 08:22:02 UTC 2005

On 29 Aug 2005, at 02:44, Justin French wrote:
> I'd much rather see TextMate remain closed source –– the model
> currently in use is perfect.  Allan works on the heart of TextMate
> (an extensible text editor architecture), then we (the community)
> contribute open source bundles that provide TextMate with features
> which are very focused to a specific language or market.
>
> TextMate (to me) is already the perfect balance between a closed
> and open source.  You can still contribute to TextMate's
> functionality (via the Bundles), yet Allan can maintain control
> over the main direction of the application.

Agreed 100%! (Very well put)

Another point that should be pointed out is that Allan is *very* good
at taking/responding to your ideas/input, and implements many of them
very quickly or keeps them on his ToDo list for future work. Having
said that though, it would be even better if there was two Allan's
working on TM all the time ;-)

Kind regards,

Mats

----
"TextMate, coding with an incredible sense of joy and ease"
- www.macromates.com -