[TxMt] Are there any plans to make TextMate free and open source?

Kris Khaira kris at kriskhaira.com
Sun Aug 28 10:13:24 UTC 2005

Are there any plans to make TextMate free and open source?

The benefits of this would include:

* Having multiple developers voluntarily fixing bugs
* Bugs get zapped quicker
* Features can get added faster (after volunteer developers are
carefully chosen)
* Everyone gets to see under the hood
* If someone doesn't like something, he can create a branch of
TextMate, and this can also serve as a test branch for the trunk
release.
* Being open source is the ultimate sign of self-confidence in your
software's security and stability.

And how you can still profit:

* Google Ads
* Popularity
* Technical support
* Donations and funding from individuals and organisations relying on
TextMate.

I mean no disrespect to Aaron and the other guys at Macromates. I'm
suggesting this because it might actually improve TextMate without
incurring a loss on its developers. And after Mozilla Firefox's
success, I believe that anything is possible.

Just my 2 cents. Please correct me if I'm out of line. Either way, I
plan to keep on using TextMate after the demo runs out. :) Everytime I
use TextMate I'm reminded why Mac OS X applications rock.