[TxMt] [feature request] back & forward buttons / history steps

Gerd Knops gerti at bitart.com
Mon Aug 22 16:39:09 UTC 2005

I am hoping that the upcoming API will allow me to write a plugin
that does something like that.

I am coming from jEdit. For jEdit I wrote a plugin that would keep a
stack of last visited/edited locations, optionally displayed in a
window with a few lines of context. One could either travel up/down
that stack to 'go back where you were before', or click on the
display to go to that location. In addition this plugin would
cooperate with ctags for a live display the definition(s) of any word
under the cursor if found in ctags.

A second plugin I wrote called CodeBrowser used ctags to display a
live window with all functions/declarations/classes/whatever,
optionally sorted.

Combined these plugins allowed for very fast navigation through alien
or complex code.

I am really looking forward to the API hoping I can write similar
plugins for TM. I miss those features much and still often go back to
jEdit. jEdit also still has folding capabilities that work much
better for me. But I have confidence that TM will get there soon, and
being a native program has many advantages over a Java program like
jEdit.

Gerd