[TxMt] feature request: on-the-fly-bundles?

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Mon Aug 22 03:06:22 UTC 2005

On 17/08/2005, at 23.13, thomas Aylott wrote:

> I want all my variables to be colored. I'm coding in ASP & there is
> no $ @ or any easy way to define what variables look like. [...]
> SOLUTION:
> I would like textMate to search my page for all words after the
> word DIM & add them to the bundle as variables, but only for this
> file. Therefor creating on-the-fly bundles.

I don't think on-the-fly bundles is the proper solution, but the
problem is valid.

There is a desire for letting scopes come from more than just the
language grammars, to allow dynamic scopes (like snippet
placeholders, current word etc.) and to keep the patterns, which are
created for context sensitive behavior, outside the language grammars
-- with beta 17's (unreleased as of this writing) ability to perform
set operations on scope selectors, this does make a lot of sense.
E.g. specify foldings as: "other.folding-keyword - (string |
comment)" or let the invalid coloring exclude current word by using:
"invalid.illegal - dyn.current-word".

As for marking up variables (w/o special tokens), that sounds like
something the (planned) code completion plugin could do -- though in
practice, there's just a way to provide extra scopes, and different
“modules” contribute (using the same means).

There is however no concrete plans, this is just me thinking out
load, and most likely I won't be able to address the issue before 1.3.