[TxMt] [ feature request ] dragging text selection - customizable hold time

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Thu Aug 18 19:46:20 UTC 2005

On 18/08/2005, at 21.04, Chris Thomas wrote:

> Documented in Xcode "Expert Preferences" release note, strangely
> enough:

Maybe because this only works for Xcode? At least I didn't see the
changes here in Mail.

>> NSDragAndDropTextDelay
>>
>> The delay (in milliseconds) during which Xcode performs a drag-and-
>> drop operation, rather than a selection. Setting this default to a
>> non-positive value will disable drag-and-drop editing.

Okay, I now read this setting -- there's no default value, I'm using
150.

Setting it <0 (e.g. -1) will disable the ability to drag a selection,
meaning clicking the mouse inside a selection immediately deselects
it and starts a new selection from that point (if the mouse is moved
while the button is down) -- this is consistent with Xcode, though
not what the OP wanted.

Setting it to 0 will immediately start a drag (what the OP wanted).
Xcode actually do not seem to do this, but instead use the default
delay (AFAICT). When having it set to 0, it also means that clicking
inside the selection will always deselect, if the mouse is released w/
o being moved first (normally it doesn't deselect on mouse up when
the drag pointer is shown).

Setting it >0 means changing the current delay of 150 milliseconds.

One could argue that with a setting of 0, it shouldn't show the drag
pointer before the mouse is actually moved, but I'm saving something
for the 2.0 upgrade! ;)