[TxMt] [ feature request ] dragging text selection - customizable hold time

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Thu Aug 18 15:39:18 UTC 2005

On Aug 18, 2005, at 8:04 AM, Sune Foldager wrote:

> On 18/08/2005, at 16.49, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> On 18/08/2005, at 15.02, minimal.design wrote:
>>
>>> I realize that I have to click+hold a little bit before I can
>>> drag [...] Was this delay before drag implemented on purpose?
>>
>> Yes -- I can't speak for Carbon applications, but it's how the
>> rest of the OS does it.
>
> IMO the delay is very minute. Not having it is a pain, I tried that
> (don't remember what program, and it might have been on Windows). I
> kept dragging text around when I wanted to make a new selection
> (after selecting one letter too many or too few before). So I for
> one am for the delay! :-).

I'm not. Mac OS 7/8/9 didn't have this delay, and it was much more
pleasant to use for drag and drop text manipulation. The delay turns
drag and drop into an occasional-use feature rather than something I
use everyday.

That said, there's a text preference you can set to adjust the delay
time, but I don't remember what it is.

Chris