[TxMt] scope in status bar

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Sun Apr 24 02:52:38 UTC 2005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 21:43, Mats Persson wrote:

> On 23 Apr 2005, at 19:28, Sune Foldager wrote:
>> I've also asked for this since right after TM was released ;-).
> Hmm, Sune, yet again you beat me to it. But me thinks you've got an
> unfair advantage ;-)

Actually, Sune is Nostradamus re-incarnated, making requests instead of
predictions. That also explains why he can request an addition to a
feature five months before the feature debuts! :)

But regarding scope: there will be a $TM_SCOPE in beta 7. I would like
to show a bread crumb trail or customized string based on the scope in
the status bar, but the raw scope is probably a bit too unfriendly.

For creating themes, with beta 7 you'll be able to show scope as
tooltip, copy to clipboard or similar using a command (and $TM_SCOPE),
but I'm also considering allowing the user to toggle visibility of
scope-markers, basically turning the current source into an XML
document, where the tags are based on the scopes. I think this will be
helpful to better get an idea of what the scope actually means and it
may also prove possible to do cool XSLT stuff on your source for
web-publishing or XPath/XQuery extractions etc.

But for here and now: when you create a new settings item in the theme
editor, it will put the exact scope of the caret into the scope field.
So if you want to target a particular element, just place the caret on
that element and make a new settings item (and probably trim the scope
specifier to be more general afterwards).